mercoledì 29 giugno 2016

Remember when we used to write letters by hand?


[English - Italian below]

Today I’d like to tell a part of me just few people know and that I kept hidden like a treasure to protect from others.
When I was younger, more or less from 12 to 18-year-old, before the Internet changed everything, I used to have a lot of penpals and I’ve spent so many hours reading letters from everywhere.
I started writing letters by chance, motivated by my desire to improve English and by my curiosity about other people’s culture, so far from the little village in Northern Italy where I live.
I wanted to know so many things! Information about their traditions, their religion and language, what they were studying at school, what kind of music they loved and who were their idols… and I found out a beautiful world!
Someone sent me his/her photo and all of a sudden a name, which I often didn’t know how to pronounce, it turned out to be a nice and friendly face. I received postcards from far cities I didn’t know existed, simple presents such as greeting cards or chewing gums that for me were extremely precious because they arrived from the other side of the planet just for me… song lyrics in languages I couldn’t read, but full of rhymes and words similar to Italian. I lost hours observing the stamps, each different from another, and I traveled in someone else’s stories from United States of America to Japan, passing through Portugal, Spain, Morocco, United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy of course, Slovenia, Germany, Netherland, Norway, Sweden, Hungary and Turkey.
Year by year some of these names have become special people, friends!
Two of them have been to my house and they will always have a place in my heart.
I am sorry that today’s generation will never know what it means to find the mailbox full of letters with stories and love from around the world.
If only the kids today would dedicate some of their time to this kind of hobby or something similar, they could experience curiosity instead of prejudice and they would grow with a longing for knowledge about what is far and different from their little reality. They would know that we are all part of the same big world.
A stranger is a friend you haven’t met yet!




Oggi voglio raccontare una parte di me che in pochi conoscono e che fino ad ora ho tenuto nascosta come un tesoro da proteggere.
Da ragazzina, più o meno dalla seconda media fino all’ultimo anno di superiori, prima che Internet cambiasse tutto, avevo tanti amici di penna e passavo ore a leggere lettere da ogni parte del mondo. Avevo iniziato per caso, spinta dal voler imparare meglio l’inglese e dalla curiosità di conoscere altre ragazze e ragazzi della mia età che vivevano in posti così lontani dal mio paesino del nord Italia. Volevo informazioni sulle loro tradizioni, sulla loro religione e lingua, su cosa studiassero a scuola, su quale musica ascoltassero e quali fossero i loro idoli... e ho scoperto un mondo bellissimo!
C’era chi mi inviava le sue fotografie ed ecco che un nome, spesso per me impronunciabile, diventava un volto. Ricevevo cartoline di città lontane che nemmeno sapevo esistessero, semplici regali di compleanno come bigliettini o gomme da masticare che ai miei occhi erano preziosissimi perché arrivati dall’altra parte del pianeta apposta per me... testi di canzoni in lingue che non sapevo leggere, ma in cui ricercavo rime e parole simili all’italiano. Mi perdevo a osservare i francobolli, tutti diversi, e ho viaggiato nei racconti degli altri andando dagli Stati Uniti d’America fino in Giappone, passando per Portogallo, Spagna, Marocco, Regno Unito, Francia, Svizzera, Italia ovviamente, Slovenia, Germania, Olanda, Norvegia, Svezia, Ungheria e Turchia.
Negli anni alcuni di quei nomi sono diventati persone speciali, amici!
Due di loro sono state anche a casa mia e saranno per sempre nel mio cuore.
Mi dispiace che le generazioni di oggi non sapranno mai cosa significa aprire la cassetta della posta e trovare quasi ogni giorno lettere piene di storie e affetto che arrivano da qualunque posto.
Se solo gli adolescenti di oggi dedicassero un po’ del loro tempo con questo hobby o qualcosa di simile, crescerebbero con la curiosità al posto del pregiudizio e con la voglia di conoscere ciò che è lontano e diverso dalla propria piccola realtà, rendendoli certi che siamo tutti parte dello stesso grande mondo che vale la pena di scoprire.
Uno straniero è solo un amico che devi ancora conoscere!



Nessun commento: